GlobalPlatform Qualifies Laboratories & Tools for GSMA eUICC Testing
Qualification supports expansion of the M2M ecosystem through cost savings, operational flexibility & efficiency
18 February 2016 – GlobalPlatform has qualified six testing laboratories and four test tools to verify the alignment of embedded UICC (eUICC) products with the GSMA’s Embedded SIM Specification 2.X. To achieve qualification, the laboratories and tools had to successfully complete the laboratory training and validation process defined by GlobalPlatform’s Compliance Program.
This activity, undertaken by GlobalPlatform, supports the GSMA’s initiative to provide a specification for remote provisioning for machine-to-machine (M2M) devices. The Specification enables the provisioning of operator subscriptions to be carried out ‘over the air’. This will accelerate the expansion of the M2M market and increase opportunities for operators and M2M customers by reducing operational costs, and improving flexibility and efficiency, through economies of scale.
GlobalPlatform is working closely with the GSMA to establish the compliance infrastructure needed to qualify test tools and laboratories, and manage the registration and qualification of eUICC products. Industry players – such as original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and mobile network operators (MNOs) – can now visit the GlobalPlatform website to source:
- Tools to test eUICC products during development or prior to deployment;
- Laboratories across a number of regions worldwide available to perform formal approval testing;
- Products that have received GlobalPlatform qualification.
The current lists of qualified tools, laboratories and products are:
- Laboratories: Applus+, CETECOM, FIME, FIME Korea, UL and UL Korea.
- Test tools: COMPRION, FIME, Galitt and UL Transaction Security.
“The benefits of a common approach can only be realized if there is common interpretation and application of the specification. Businesses investing in Embedded SIM solutions will be assured that products qualified by the GlobalPlatform scheme will deliver the same level of functional integrity and security as the traditional removable SIM,” commented Gloria Trujillo, Technology Director, GSMA.
The GSMA Embedded SIM Specification offers a number of benefits to the industry:
- OEMs are now able to quickly and easily source compliant eUICC products. Subsequently, profiles can be loaded and updated remotely and with confidence, without the need for physical interaction with the M2M device. This significantly streamlines the management of devices across different environments, use cases and markets.
- MNOs benefit from assurance that embedded products are compliant before their profiles are loaded. They additionally gain from reduced costs for the issuance and management of M2M SIM products and expanded market opportunities.
- From an end user perspective, the customer experience will be enhanced as products will work ‘out of the box’ and will cost less to deploy.
“This is an important milestone in eUICC compliance,” adds Gil Bernabeu, Technical Director of GlobalPlatform. “Multiple OEMs and eUICC providers need to collaborate to make M2M technology successful and the compliance program is the basis for that cooperation. Additionally, the M2M ecosystem needs a strong foundation for eUICC technology and this is what the GSMA’s specification delivers. A core objective of our collaboration with the GSMA is to promote interoperability, stability and flexibility within the M2M ecosystem. Now that multiple test tools and a global network of laboratories are in place, we are in a strong position to qualify products on behalf of the GSMA in the very near future.”
Visit the GlobalPlatform website to view the full list of qualified test tools and laboratories.
For further media information, please contact Rob Peryer or Natasha Rogerson at iseepr: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org or on + 44 (0) 1943 468007
Keep up to date with the latest news from GlobalPlatform:
- Follow on Twitter: http://bit.ly/wOiHFp
- Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/GlobalPlatformTV
- Join us on LinkedIn: http://linkd.in/xjxsN5
Notes to editors:
GlobalPlatform defines and develops specifications to facilitate the secure deployment and management of multiple embedded applications on secure chip technology. Its standardized infrastructure empowers service providers to develop services once and deploy across different markets, devices and channels. GlobalPlatform’s security and privacy parameters enable dynamic combinations of secure and non-secure services from multiple providers on the same device, providing a foundation for market convergence and innovative new cross-sector partnerships.
GlobalPlatform is the international industry standard for trusted end-to-end secure deployment and management solutions. The technology’s widespread global adoption across finance, mobile/telecom, government, premium content, automotive, healthcare, retail and transit sectors delivers cost and time-to-market efficiencies to all. GlobalPlatform supports the long-term interoperability and scalability of application deployment and management through its secure chip technology open compliance program.
As a non-profit, member-driven association, GlobalPlatform has cross-market representation from all continents. 120+ members contribute to technical committees and market-led task forces. For more information on GlobalPlatform membership visit www.globalplatform.org