GlobalPlatform 2024 Board Broadens Organization’s Scope
Organization delivers crucial specifications that develop confidence and inspire trust in secure technologies and certifications
February 07, 2024 – GlobalPlatform, the standard for secure digital services and devices, has announced its Board of Directors for fiscal year 2024. To support the creation of cyber resilient societies, the Board is prioritizing initiatives across a broader range of trusted isolation platforms and services, the simplification of IoT security evaluation and sector-specific initiatives including digital identity and automotive.
The following Full Members will serve a two-year term on the Board:
- Arm – Rob Coombs
- FIME – Stéphanie El Rhomri
- Oracle – Sebastian Hans
- STMicroelectronics – Olivier Van Nieuwenhuyze
- Thales – Guillaume Phan
The group will continue to drive GlobalPlatform’s initiatives that support stakeholders from across different industries to respond to emerging cybersecurity requirements:
- Supporting a broader range of isolation platforms: trusted execution environments (TEE) are now a mature technology and there are other technologies that perform similar roles. Sectors like automotive, payments, identity, IoT, smart cities, and the protection of AI Language Models have requirements to use a combination of these technologies and need secure services they can deploy across platforms. By combining the work already done by the TEE and Trusted Platform Services (TPS) Committees into a new Trusted Environments & Services (TES) Committee, GlobalPlatform is starting the work to cover a broader range of Isolation Platforms and provide mechanisms enabling access to their secure services.
- Standardizing security evaluation for the IoT: following its adoption as a European standard by CEN CENELEC, the Security Evaluation Standard for IoT Platforms (SESIP) methodology continues to gain momentum with a growing network of certification bodies, licensed laboratories and certified products. The newly established SESIP Committee will continue to define governance to ensure mutual recognition across schemes, map SESIP to standards and regulations, issue profiles for specific IoT use cases, and provide access to training so that SESIP can become the de-facto standard for evaluating IoT security.
- Automotive cybersecurity: furthering collaborations with leading organizations like the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and AUTOSAR. GlobalPlatform aims to optimize and accelerate the deployment of secure components, trusted digital architecture, security APIs, and security lifecycle management within the automotive sector.
- Supporting the rollout of European Digital Identity Wallets (EUDI): initial work has focused on aligning GlobalPlatform technologies and working alongside leading industry partners like ENISA, to ensure EUDI implementations can support high assurance security requirements when the EUDI certification schemes are defined. 2024 will also see GlobalPlatform extend its work to other regions, including digital identity and mobile driver’s licenses in the U.S.
Continuing as GlobalPlatform Chair, Stéphanie El Rhomri, comments: “The past year has been transformative in how we support our membership and deliver standardized technologies and certifications. I look forward to working closely with my fellow board members over the next year as we continue to inspire creative, collaborative and open ecosystems which empower our members.”
GlobalPlatform’s Executive Director, Ana Tavares Lattibeaudiere adds: “For almost 25 years, GlobalPlatform technologies have provided the foundations for secure and trusted devices and services. In the face of evolving business, security, and scalability challenges, our board members remain committed to driving new initiatives that increase trust and security in devices, enabling stakeholders to efficiently – and effectively – deliver innovative digital services.”
Olivier Van Nieuwenhuyze will continue in his role as GlobalPlatform Vice Chair, and Claus Dietze remains as Secretary/Treasurer.
All of the eleven Board members can be viewed here.
For further media information, please contact Ellie Fingleton
firstname.lastname@example.org / or on +44 (0) 113 350 1922
GlobalPlatform is a technical standards organization that enables the efficient launch and management of innovative, secure-by-design digital services and devices, which deliver end-to-end security, privacy, simplicity and convenience to users. It achieves this by providing standardized technologies and certifications that empower technology and service providers to develop, certify, deploy and manage digital services and devices in line with their business, security, regulatory and data protection needs. Key offerings include secure component specifications; the Device Trust Architecture for accessing secure services within a device; and the SESIP Methodology for IoT device certification.
GlobalPlatform technologies are used in billions of smart cards, smartphones, wearables and other connected and IoT devices to enable convenient and trusted digital services across market sectors, including healthcare, government and enterprise ID, payments, smart cities, industrial automation, smart home, telecoms, transportation, utilities, and OEMs.
GlobalPlatform standardized technologies and certifications are developed through effective industry-driven collaboration, led by multiple diverse member companies working in partnership with industry and regulatory bodies and other interested parties from around the world.
Learn more about the SESIP Methodology.