GlobalPlatform's IPR Policy and contribution
process allows members and non-members to propose technology for
consideration and adoption by GlobalPlatform. The process records and
tracks the contribution and provides a system for disclosing IPR claims
to the organization.
Process for Submitting an IP Contribution Request:
The contribution process begins with an IPR submission. Representatives
of member organizations must submit a Submission of Technology form, while non-members
must submit a Non-
Member Submission of Technology Form to the Secretariat.
Contributions can be submitted at any time. Contributions should only
be submitted to the Secretariat, and not directly to a committee.
- The submitter sends a completed Submission of Technology form
and/or Business Requirements form (the 'contribution') to the Secretariat.
- The contribution is reviewed for completeness and is assigned a
submission tracking number by the Secretariat.
- The submitter receives a prompt email notification that the
Secretariat has received the contribution.
- The Secretariat circulates the contribution to the Technical
- The Technical Director reviews the contribution and seeks input
from Committee Chairs, the Executive Director, Strategic Directors and
Board Members as necessary.
- The Technical Director completes a review of all Intellectual
Property (IP) and Business Requirements (BR) submissions within 30 days
of receipt and submits a recommendation to the board for review and
- Upon approval by the board, the contribution and the analysis
completed by the Technical Director is submitted to the appropriate
technical committee chair for further development.
- Contributions not approved by the Board are returned to the
Secretariat with a documented explanation.
- If for any reason the contribution request is incorrect or
incomplete, the Technical Director informs the Secretariat and requests
that the deficiencies be corrected.
- The Technical Director provides quarterly updates to the
Secretariat regarding all IP and BR submissions.
- The board reviews all contributions, the current status and
explanations for rejection at their regularly scheduled meetings.
Process for Evaluating an IP or BR Submission:
Once the business review is completed and approved by the board, the
technical committee receives the contribution and the business
analysis. The technical committee adheres to the following evaluation
- The technical committee chair provides the board with a periodic
status report while the contribution is being evaluated.
- The committee chair may provide the status report during the next
scheduled Board conference call, or in person if the monthly call is
not held due to a quarterly board meeting, or via written report.
- At the end of the review process, the committee sends an evaluation
conclusion report that includes a board recommendation.
- The committee's review process should not exceed three months.
To apply to become a GlobalPlatform member, please read the following legal bylaws and IPR policy, complete and return the membership agreement:
The completed and signed membership agreement can be scanned and emailed to GlobalPlatform. Alternatively, it can be faxed to the GlobalPlatform Secretariat on +1-650-260-2389.
New members joining after 31 October within the current fiscal year will pay prorated fees based on the month that a signed membership agreement is received by GlobalPlatform.
All membership inquiries can be sent to GlobalPlatform.