Japan Task Force
GlobalPlatform established a Japan Task Force in 2011 to serve as a
forum for its Japanese members, and all GlobalPlatform members with
business interests in Japan, to gather and discuss business and
functional requirements for specific market sectors within the region.
The task force hosts twelve meetings a year to progress the key aims of
the group. The Japan Task Force benefits from the engagement of 34
professionals from 13 member companies.
The main objectives of the task force include:
- Promote GlobalPlatform activities within the region.
- Share the identified business functional requirements for
specific markets with GlobalPlatform through the task force process.
- Obtain current information from, and directly interact with
- Exchange information with other Japanese / Asian industry
associations and standardization bodies including:
- Next Generation IC Card System Study Group (NICSS)
- Association of Radio Industries and Businesses (ARIB)
- Japan Automotive Software Platform and Architecture (JASPAR)
- Asian IC Card Forum (AICF)
- Asia Pacific Smart Card Association (APSCA)
- Introduce GlobalPlatform to mobile, Internet-of-Things and other
key activities within Japan and identifying areas for the association to
contribute to regional activity.
- Grow the GlobalPlatform membership base in Japan.
- Host annual sectoral task force meetings and a Regional Advisory
Council meeting for the members.
- Host an annual joint conference with NICSS and / or AICF.
Eikazu Niwano - Japan Task Force Chair
Mr. Niwano currently serves as a Producer in the R&D Planning
Department of NTT Corporation. He is responsible for managing e-
government and smart card projects across NTT group companies.
Since joining NTT, Mr. Niwano has undertaken research on distributed
system architecture including smart cards at NTT laboratories. He was
also the general manager of the Europe Office of the Information Sharing
Laboratory Group, where he was involved in a number of European /
international standardization activities.
He is additionally a NICSS (Next Generation IC Card System Study
group) Fellow, sits on the Board of Directors and is the former Chair of
the GlobalPlatform-NICSS Collaboration Expert Group, and serves as Chair
of the SCP10 Task Force.
Mr. Niwano has served on the GlobalPlatform Board of Directors since
2005 and is the current Chair of the GlobalPlatform Japan Task Force.
- Consumer IoT (formerly Mobile) - Felica Networks; JCB
- Industrial IoT (formerly IoT) - DNP
- Security - Toshiba
- Government/Enterprise or Identity - NTT
- Premium Content – Toppan
- GlobalPlatform Members: Members wishing to
contribute to this activity can visit the member only website
to join this task force.
- Non-Members: To learn about GlobalPlatform
membership, please contact